What is the Certificate of Experience?

The Certificate of Experience is a document which details an individual’s work experience and qualifications gained in a particular profession in the UK. It verifies that the individual has satisfied the criteria laid out in chapter 2 of Directive 2005/36/EC, which is the European Directive that covers the regulation of craft /trade professions in Member States. Once issued, the Certificate of Experience will assist the individual to work in a regulated profession in another Member State without the need of further training or experience.

Here is an example of a Certificate of Experience.

Who needs the Certificate of Experience?

Individuals who have trained and gained work experience in the UK and wish to pursue their profession in another Member State may require the Certificate of Experience. It is only issued if the destination Member State stipulates that the profession is regulated under Directive 1999/42/EC. In order to ascertain whether a profession is regulated in a particular Member State, it is necessary to contact the National Co-ordinator for that country.

How to apply for the Certificate of Experience

Firstly you must contact the National Co-ordinator in the Member State where you wish to work and find out whether you require the Certificate of Experience.

If you do require the Certificate of Experience, please proceed to the online application form.

If you have any further queries regarding the application process or requirements, please contact the Certificate of Experience Team:

Certificate of Experience
Suffolk House,
68-70 Suffolk Road,
GL50 2ED
Tel: +44 (0)1242 258 608
Email: info@certex.org.uk